Monday, December 31, 2012

La Jolla, the Jewel

Blogging until late last night definitely took a toll on me this morning, but I still managed to get out on my run, just half an hour later than yesterday. I quite enjoy having the time difference to my advantage, so I hope I stay on Summit time in order to keep waking up early enough to see the California sunrise! Anyway, today Mom and Dad also decided to go out on a walk by the bay area and so after I finished my run, I met up with them by the boat docks. There were hundreds of boats floating in the early morning sun in the bay! It almost reminded me of Bradenton, Florida, when we used to visit every winter break.

Boats in the dock
Once returning to the hotel and waking up Zaynee and Hanaa, we hopped into the car and hit the Pacific Coast Highway again. This time, however, we were going South instead of North of Laguna Beach, to La Jolla. Dad, having skipped dinner last night in favor of falling asleep at 9pm last night, was starving, so we stopped about 20 minutes away from our hotel in a small village called San Clemente. Antoine's Cafe looked friendly enough for brunch, though the wait was almost half an hour long. Luckily the sun was out and completely warmed the entire village, so we spent time walking up the main road and relaxing outside Starbucks in the warmth. By the time we finally had a table at Antoine's and finished our unfortunately bland food, it was almost noon, so we left the disappointing cafe to continue down South to La Jolla.

I don't think I could ever get tired of driving down the Pacific Coast Highway, with the sea on one side and the cliffs and mountains inland on the other side. It's just so peaceful and beautiful. It's also nothing like what back home looks like, with the ocean stretching out so vastly and the sky looking so immense. I've never seen the sky look this big! Even almost an hour later of driving on the same road, I wasn't tired of the views. However, we had arrived at La Jolla! Three years ago, I made a few friends at a conference in Washington, DC who lived in La Jolla. I remember wanting so badly to visit them. Though we aren't the closest of friends now, I was very excited to see the little beach village I had visited 17 years ago!

Waves by the cliff
The town really was a little jewel, as the name goes. The streets were clean and orderly and perfectly decorated with festive lights on every tree. It would look beautiful when evening came! There were boutiques and specialty beach shops and restaurants and so much more. And just a few minutes' walk from the main road of the town, down a steep little hill, we were at the beachwalk along the coast!

The views were incredible. I know I keep saying that, but they were truly spectacular. I cannot believe I have friends and there are other lucky people who live in La Jolla, and just California in general, all year round. They live in a perpetual paradise! At least in my opinion. I know it's all a matter of perspective, though: those who live in La Jolla may not think they live in paradise all the time, but I definitely think they do! Just look at how lovely the sea is!

Giant waves off La Jolla coast!
We spent a good few hours walking along the beach walk. It was situated atop the cliffs with the beach just below, allowing for a spectacular view of the enormous icy blue waves, the pelicans and seagulls, and even a few seals diving in and out of the waves!. We came across stairs to a little beach alcove where hundreds of people were crowding behind a rope, so we went down to see what the commotion was. Turns out, there were seals lazing about in the sun right by the tourists! They were so close by; Hanaa was having a field day because they were so cute. The seals were calling to each other, scratching their chins, and waddling up and down the beach--it looked like they were on vacation as well!

Such cute seals on the beach!
As we continued walking along the coast, Mom pointed out a little cove called La Jolla Underwater Cove. It was the little beach I had played on when I was 3 years old! The minute I saw it, I recognized it from so long ago, right to the rocks protruding from the sea where seals were basking in the sun. It's funny how little things can trigger your memories from so long ago; I couldn't believe I remembered!

La Jolla Cove
Seals basking on rocks in the waves
Zaynee and I left Hanaa and the parents to continue walking along the coast to walk through the town and grab a hot drink. Storm clouds were starting to roll in from sea again, so soon, the rest of the family found us and we camped out in Panera while the rain poured down. Once it cleared up, we drove up the high mountains surrounding La Jolla to see the ocean views as some of the incredible houses saw them and then began heading back to San Clemente for an Italian dinner to finish up our wonderful day.

Cathedral at sunset in La Jolla Village


No comments:

Post a Comment